The summery months are upon us and it’s time to keep ourselves safe. Regardless of whether you believe it is “not too hot outside” or “the sun won’t affect you”, yes it will. Even if it’s overcast or you don’t seem to get sunburnt, the long-term effects might not be visible just yet. Don’t get caught out at a later date for today’s ignorance.
What is SPF?
To give you the official definition of ‘Sun protection factor‘ – SPF is a measure of how much solar energy (UV radiation) is required to produce sunburn on protected skin (i.e., in the presence of sunscreen) relative to the amount of solar energy required to produce sunburn on unprotected skin. As the SPF value increases, sunburn protection increases.
What can the effects be of not using SPF?
- Sunspots – Hyperpigmentation and premature aging can be seen as a result of not wearing SPF correctly.
- Broken blood vessels – UV and sun exposure can lead to this, otherwise known as ‘Telangiectasia’
- Wrinkles – As previously mentioned, premature aging can certainly be linked to a lack of SPF.
- Sunburn – Pretty self-explanatory but not using SPF can really be harmful to your skin and one of the first-hand signs is sunburn. In more severe cases, blistering and skin peeling can occur.
- Skin cancer – A serious consequence that can be seen as a result of not protecting yourself from strong rays.
- Don’t wait until you’re already out to pop your sun cream on, is it sunny outside? Lather yourself up and allow your skin the chance to absorb it first.
- Cover all areas! There’s no excuse for it these days as SPF comes in such a large variety of forms – lip balms with SPF included, SPF makeup, High Factor stuff to get the job done. Protect yourself!
- Re-apply! That sun cream is not going to last all day, especially if you’re laying out in it. The key is to re-apply around the two-hour mark.
- Expiry dates don’t lie. You wouldn’t drink milk that went out of date a week ago and you should treat this the same. You only get one body and it’s key that you take care of it.
Kiehl’s Facial Cream
“A 24-hour daily moisturiser with SPF 30 that smoothes and hydrates skin.”
Paula’s Choice Lipscreen
“Restores moisture to dry, chapped lips while protecting them from sun damage.”
Trinny Skin Perfector
“The perfect base product, we set out to create one ultimate skin perfector and so BFF SPF 30 Cream was born.”
Please, please, please protect yourselves over these sunny months. Stay safe!