During lockdown, my love for baking returned and I found myself baking almost every week! I began delivering cakes to family and friends and found it a great way to fill my time, but I also enjoyed being able to deliver a box of goodies to everyone I cared about during a difficult year.
These party ring cupcakes are fun and super easy to make! Great for a post-lockdown get-together, a zoom call party or just if you fancy doing some baking! I hope you all like them as much as me!
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 150g Unsalted Butter or Stork
- 150g Self-Raising Flour
- 3 Medium Eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Boiling Water
For the Icing/ Middle of Cake:
- At least 50g of Strawberry Jam
- 150g Unsalted Butter
- 350g Icing Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2-4 tbsp Whole Milk (depending on what consistency you like for your butter icing)
- Pack of Mini Party Rings
- Pack of Haribo Starmix
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees C, and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcakes cases. Cream together your butter and caster sugar until smooth.
- Beat in your eggs one at a time. TOP TIP: To stop the mixture from curdling when adding each egg, add a tablespoon of flour each time and mix together.
- Add in the flour, and fold it into your mixture. Then add the vanilla extract and boiling water and continue to fold.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into your cases and bake in the oven for 15 minutes (although they made need a few minutes longer depending on the oven!)
- Whilst the cakes are cooling down you can make your icing. Beat the butter in a bowl until soft and gradually add in the icing sugar until all of the icing sugar and butter are completely combined. Add in the vanilla and continue to mix. Add in the milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the icing is at the consistency you like it (if it is too firm then it will be difficult to pipe)
- Once the cakes have cooled down, you can move on to filling them and decorating! Cut a hole out of each cupcake, keeping the cake you have removed to the side. In the hole put a teaspoon of jam in each cake (I used jam in mine, but if you prefer a chocolate spread or another filling then that will work too!)
- Put the top of the cakes which you removed back on and then you’re ready to decorate. I piped the icing on top of my cakes, but you can spread it on if you’d prefer! Then add a mini party ring and Haribo sweet on top!