Yes. You read that right. ‘I don’t drink.’ I mean…I drink water, tea, and coffee of course. But I don’t drink alcohol. I’m 19 and a university student, Scottish and I don’t drink. A very rare sentence to hear.
Turning 18 is generally the birthday that most people are super excited about because of the freedoms that come with it. One of the main ones is legally drinking alcohol and attending pubs, clubs, and bars. You can go and order whatever you like; shots, cocktails, pints you name it – literally because I don’t know the names of the drinks…my drink of choice is an iced americano/cold brew from Starbucks, haha!
Maybe you are reading this, and you are the same as me or maybe you read the title and thought ‘WHAT ON EARTH? HOW CAN THAT BE TRUE?’ either way…hey! Let’s discuss it.
There are many different reasons why someone might not want to or cannot drink. Some of these include:
- Medication types
- Religious reasons/beliefs
- Designated driver
But there are also many other reasons that are ‘less common’ including:
- Simply not wanting to.
- Fear of not being in control
- Not enjoying it
- Would rather be fresh as a daisy
- Not in the mood
- Has a family history with alcohol
- Doesn’t like the taste of it
- Mental health not being the best
- Saving money
- Again, simply not wanting to.
Regardless of the reason. You do not need to justify it. Very often people will tend to react to you when you say no to a drink or tell them you don’t drink alcohol. Does this sound familiar?
“That is so boring”
“Just have one it won’t affect you”
“Pick me vibes”
“How are you even having fun?”
“We can change that”
“Have a sip”
“Nah, that’s not right”
“You only live once”
Well, I just want to remind you of some of these things:
- You do not need to drink to have fun
- Alcohol doesn’t react well to everyone
- You don’t have to justify your decisions
- We all enjoy different things, you don’t have to just follow the crowd
- Don’t worry about being ‘different’ to the rest of the people there
- If you don’t drink, at least you will be guaranteed a fresh morning the next day.
Feature image by Skylake Studio on Unsplash.