Don’t be a Grinch! Christmas 2020 may be strange and unlike anything we’ve experienced before but it’s still the time for celebration! Whether you’re all about minimalism or a tinsel terror, we’ve looked into everything for you.. on a student budget too!
BUY A CHRISTMAS TREE!
No home is complete without a tree, and that includes your new student house! Although real trees are a tradition for many, getting an artificial tree saves a load of mess and is perfect for students.
- Argos 5ft Noel Christmas Tree- Green – £11.25 down from £15 – this tree is super easy to assemble with Argos suggesting the perfect baubles and lights on their site. You simply slot the tree together, and a mess-free Christmas can commence.
- Christmas Tree World’s Pre-Lit Pop-Up Christmas Tree – £59.99 – a slightly more pricey option but with this 6-7ft standing tree, you will be turning heads! As seen on ITV’s This Morning, this tree pops up and is pre-lit meaning no extra work trying to configure the fairy lights to everyone’s taste!
- Argos 5ft Rainbow Christmas Tree – £26.25 down from £35 – A slightly more extravagant tree, but we love it! Bursting with colour, 2020 has been full of the unexpected, so why not break tradition with this staple piece? Or just make this a new tradition perhaps?
GET IN THE BEST BOOZE!
This sings Christmas to me a whole lot more than Michael Buble ever could! These festive drinks are what it’s all about. This section is by yours truly, Leana.. on behalf of most students to be honest.
- Ocado’s Mulled Wine – £5 for 75cl. “A rich and fruity red wine drink, flavoured with warming spices.” What an absolute bargain for just £5. This drink reminds me of the Sheffield Christmas markets. Each year ‘Thor’s Tipi Bar‘ comes to join our city and I thoroughly enjoy it every time. Even though I’ve accepted that this won’t be a thing of 2020, it makes me super excited for next year. The laughter, the singing, the spirit and happiness that is shared amongst everyone. For now, it’ll be shared amongst family and friends in the kitchen’s around the UK.. we just need to take any opportunity that we are given.
- Waitrose’s Mulled Cider – £3.99 for 75cl. “Oak aged Herefordshire cider spiced with cloves, cinnamon and ginger. Warm gently to release the full aromas.” This one sends me back to Krakow, mid-November last year. We went to multiple bars whilst we were there and this seemed to be a standard drink in most of the places that we visited.. and what a delight it is! It is one of the most lovely feelings.. freezing cold but sipping on a warm drink!
- Tesco’s Buck’s Fizz £2 for 75cl – Who could say no for just £2? I’d rather spend £2 on a bottle of festive cheer rather than a scratch-card that won’t be a winner. Christmas isn’t complete without a family member whipping this out and pouring everyone a glass at the dinner table, morning, night or noon!
This is a tradition in many households and it’s no different for mine. This is something that I look forward to every year! Whether that is with the family, housemates, friends… it’s always such a laugh! You can always set budgets too which can be really fun.. here are a few suggestions for under £10.
- Etsy’s Mug – £8.50 – How relatable is this mug! It’s the perfect gift for anyone that loves a brew or a coffee.. plus what a great memento for remembering this crazy year.
- Tesco’s Toilet Rolls – £9.45 – In the year of stock-piling, make sure your friend doesn’t go without this Christmas… this family pack of toilet rolls should see them through to the new year! Practical and thoughtful- don’t let anybody tell you differently.
- Amazon’s Uno Game – £7.72 – Why not get something that you can all get some enjoyment from. This family classic will keep you entertained until you break out in your first festive argument! It’s all love.
MAKE THE TREE SHINE!
No Christmas tree is complete without some sort of decoration, these are the more traditional options, but DIY decorations can also be super personal and a great touch. These are affordable and perfect for any student house/ halls!
- Aldi Fairy Lights – £3.99 – Injecting some light into your Christmas tree is essential for the cold, dark evenings in December. This black chain of 50 warm-LED lights will be perfect for making your halls feel more festive and cosy this season.
- Paperchase Mini Baubles – £8 – This Paperchase deal of 100 Shatterproof Baubles for £8 is one of the best I’ve seen. They’re affordable and likely to last a long time over any glass baubles! This is perfect for student houses or for the slightly clumsy students among us… myself included!
- Wilko Gold Tinsel: – £1 – Ideal for all different rooms and styling- tinsel is a must! No tree is complete without it, and if you have any extra tinsel lying around, why not make your mirror shine, or give your bannister a new lease of life! For just £1, you can’t go wrong.
CHANNEL YOUR INNER MARY BERRY!
It is time to get creative and impress your flatmates with your baking skills. This is going to make you their favourite this Christmas. Baking at Christmas time is not only festive, but it could make for a lovely gift!
- Co-op Chocolate Orange Christmas Cookies – This recipe takes just under 2 hours total and makes 12 servings. It is perfect for any chocolate orange lover as it has just 6 ingredients and 8 steps making it less daunting to make and definitely student-friendly!
- Dr Oetker Christmas Chocolate Pudding Crispies – This 5-step recipe could release a more competitive side of you as the decorating seems to be one of the more challenging parts! This means, regardless if baking is your thing or not, your final product may not look quite like the picture, but it will still taste like a 10/10!
- Tear-and-share Spiced Chocolate Christmas Tree – This recipe may seem out of your depth, as it does look complicated, but Tesco has broken it down into 4 easy steps. This tear-and-share will be a hit with your housemates without a doubt, as it is not only festive but filling also!
Let us know what your Christmas looks like, tagging us at: @TheStudentAspect on Instagram!