‘I think I want to be a……. vet? No, a teacher? Maybe a zoologist!!! Yeah, that would be cool. Wait, no I will be a nurse. No, I could, but I am more suited to study primary teaching, I think? But then, media could be cool. I think I will do law. Hearsay! No, I will do primary teaching! Ugh, I don’t know but do I really want to teach kids all day?’
If only we had a crystal ball.
My mind is on 24/7 and as an overthinker, it rarely ever sits silent. I constantly worry and wonder about my future and what it will look like. This also makes me question if I am even on the right path? I am guessing if you are reading this then you are probably experiencing the same feelings. Glad we are in it together…
Being in high school and applying for university or college is one of the most stressful, overwhelming decisions ever! Mostly because you are being pressured into deciding what you want to do for the next 50-60 years of your life (which, at the age of 16/17 you probably don’t even know what you want for dinner or which colour you should dye your hair next week). So really, we must admit that it is normal to have doubts along the way.
These doubts may sound a bit like “Have I picked the right course?” or “Is this the right career for me?”.
Literally, that’s my mind almost every day!
I study Primary Teaching! I am going into my third year which essentially means I’m HALFWAY!!!!! To me that is terrifying. It feels like I am reaching the end of the race, but it also feels like the end just won’t be fulfilling. It’s a vicious cycle to sit and constantly doubt your course. This also can make it hard to find your motivation to even continue. I would be lying if I said I haven’t ever considered dropping out…
One day it feels amazing. Then the next, it feels like there is a missing puzzle piece. I have too many jobs I want to do. Sometimes it feels like doing this course was a rushed decision and I almost went into it just by default. Sound familiar? For a long time, I thought that this was only me feeling this way (especially with online university) but it really isn’t. There will be so many people feeling this way on your course. In fact, people feel this way at every stage in life.
So here are some important little notices for you to take away from this that I have adapted as my mindset:
- Nothing is set in stone – You don’t have to do whatever your degree is, it doesn’t lock you in. You are free. You can study to be a teacher and then decide actually I want to be a vet. You can study to be a historian and then decide ‘actually no, I want to be an air hostess!’. You can do whatever you like. Life has no rules. University is a big part of life, but it is NOT everything.
- Get your degree – If you are getting through it, just complete it. Fall back on it!
- It’s your life, not anybody else’s – People always have an opinion but ONLY YOU KNOW YOU.
- Live in the moment – Try not to stress about the future. Focus on what is in front of your eyes right now. What is literally available to you at this moment.
- Dream big – THE SKY IS YOUR LIMIT!
If you’d like to check out more of Toni’s content, go to her Instagram @daydreamingwithtoni.
Feature image by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash.